Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

The person in charge of paying bills stopped paying the

Customer Question

The person in charge of paying bills stopped paying the hazard insurance. There are no funds left to pay the insurance. My mortgage holder is going to purchase insurance and charge me. What can I do? The other owners are refusing to pay extra to reinstate the insurance
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The lender often has a requirement that insurance be paid (this may include hazard insurance). If it is not, the lender can purchase their own and add the sum to the mortgage payment. This is standard.

Unless there is an agreement between the owners in writing as to who should pay the insurance, then there is no mandate that each owner pay their equal share of insurance proportional to their ownership. There is no automatic, statutory division of liability for insurance.

I am guessing no such contract is in writing. If not, then the owners really have little option. They must pay the insurance (one of them most of it, or all of it divided between each other, however they want to), or the lender will add their own insurance and increase the mortgage amount.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!