LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Is it legal that every apartment needs to populate a list of

Customer Question

Is it legal that every apartment needs to populate a list of people that will be and are visiting us, also we have to assign a type of relation for each name. I understand for people that are visiting for 2 weeks or a month but not for possible visiting person. If this person is not entered into the computer's list that visitor will not be allowed up unless someone comes down to meet them. Security will bring them to the apartment if we cannot go down. I understand when someone come for a visit that you need to sign a sheet, show your ID but not entering the information into the computer and not giving them the type of relative. This started with visitor of 30 days and now they are extending to daily visitor.
Please me know if this is legal.
Monic Pepin
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good evening Monic,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I empathize with your frustration and what seems like an invasion of privacy. However, so long as the requirement is in your lease agreement, or stated in the rules of the complex, yes it is perfectly legal.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug