Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We are not being evicted, or foreclosed on. The house we are

Customer Question

We are not being evicted, or foreclosed on. The house we are in was sold by my mother-in-law to a friend of ours. The real estate agent had the bank put in a contract that we have to be out on 3/18/16. We were just told this on 3/7/16. I thought they had to give us 30 days notice. Is this not true? The bank is Bank of America.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you aren't under a fixed term lease, then under Utah law, the owner of the property can terminate your tenancy with a 15 day written notice. If you didn't vacate after that then they would have to pursue a formal eviction action in the courts to get a judgment of eviction and a writ of possession to have the sheriff force you to vacate. This typically takes another 3-4 weeks depending on the courts and the sheriffs schedules..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Glad to help. And they can't force you to vacate without having a legal judgment from the court in their hand so don't let them bluff you.

.

.

thanks