Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am a licensed CO real estate agent. I entered into a lease

Customer Question

I am a licensed CO real estate agent. I entered into a lease agreement, where I am The Tenant. The Landlord is telling me my lease is void, and that I was fraudulent because I did NOT disclose that I was licensed as a real estate agent. Is this correct? I live in colorado
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

No, there is nothing under CO law that would require a tenant to disclose that they were a realtor as it has absolutely no bearing on the relationship. The landlord has to disclose if they are a realtor, but there is nothing about if a tenant is a realtor.

.

I am not sure why the landlord would be trying to get out of the lease, but it is fully legally enforceable if you wanted to hold the landlord's feet to the fire. You can tell them that if they breach the lease you will sue them for "specific performance" to enforce the lease or for any damages that you incur in locating and moving to a new rental.

.

And I wouldn't put too much stock in what a landlord says unless he also happens to be an attorney..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks