RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have a lease ending October 2016. I received a 3 day

Customer Question

I have a lease ending October 2016. I received a 3 day eviction notice posted to my front door today. We have paid our rent diligently for 29 months. My rent checks are sent from Chicago. I was called from the real estate company back in early February to tell me that we had paid a month early, I assumed they meant March. Any way I told my son in Chicago we had paid early and he held back the March rent. I received a phone call on March 7th telling me we were late for march. I called my son in Chicago and he sent the rent check on the 8th. The eviction Notice was posted on the front door for all the neighbors to see. Do I have any rights here
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you.

I'm sorry to hear what happened, it sounds like an oversight. What was actually posted to the door is a 3 day notice to "Pay or quit." That is the first step a landlord has to take before they can file a lawsuit for eviction. It says to a tenant that you must "Pay back rent owed within 3 days, or vacate." If after the 3 days pass, you still haven't paid, then they can file for an eviction.

While I understand that the notice was posted where neighbors might see, unfortunately, that is legal. The notice can either be left with a tenant, or posted to the door.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.