Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

A lien was put on my house the lien was in my wife name.

Customer Question

A lien was put on my house the lien was in my wife name. Both me and my spouse are on the title. My wife recently passed away. What recourse do I have to remove lien.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Subsequent purchasers or owners always take subject to liens placed on the property. The lien is held against the property and not against you personally. It depends on the type of lien but you would have to attack the validity of the claim that is the basis of the lien. If it is a mechanic lien or a loan such as a mortgage on the home this will be difficult. If it is a judgment lien on a homestead, then you would have a chance. See link for more info on the subject: http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/Wrongful.html

Most likely if the lien does not fit into the categories described in the link, you will not be able to remove it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?