J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

After you have already closed on a home equity line of

Customer Question

After you have already closed on a home equity line of credit and then at some point in the future either lose your job or your marital status changes are you obligated to notify your lender even if you can keep up with payments?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unless there is very specific language in the loan documents to provide notice (which would be rare and not typical) a borrower does not have to notify or is obligated to tell a lender of a change in circumstances regarding a HELOC or equity loan. As long as payments are made, the lender really doesn't care, the lender just wants the money.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).