CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Property owned since early 1990's has been surveyed aerially

Customer Question

property owned since early 1990's has been surveyed aerially and neighbors have taken it over = this has caused us to lose from $42,000 value property to $19,000 value property
There is no house built on this property.
How can we go about getting our property back.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

In short: hire a land surveyor (do not rely on aerial surveys), and then hire a real estate attorney (they can threaten, then, if necessary, sue for "quiet title" to reclaim your 'lost' property).

This is relatively simple and straight forward, it may cost you a little bit of money to do, but if you are losing 1/2 of the value of your property it is probably well worth your while to do so. I would recommend starting with hiring the attorney because they will put you in touch with a reputable land surveyor that they are comfortable with as an expert witness.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).