Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My neighbor has planted pine trees on the line of the of

Customer Question

My neighbor has planted pine trees on the line of the of property next to me and the pine needles are covering my side of the line. He has also put a fence on the so that I cannot mow them back to his side. Do I have the legal right to cut anything hanging on my side of the line so that I don't have to have the mess on my property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You have the right to cut off branches and roots that stray into your property; provided, however, you must first warn or give notice to the tree owner prior to commencing work and give the tree owner the chance to correct the problem. If the tree owner does nothing, the tree can still be trimmed to the property line. But, in order to avoid any claim by the tree owner that you trimmed the roots negligently thereby causing damage to the tree that could have been avoided, I would recommend you have a tree expert trim the tree, especially with regard to any roots.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!