Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I am the seller of my home and have a signed contract from a

Customer Question

I am the seller of my home and have a signed contract from a buyer to purchase it. I have since discovered that the buyer is a registered sex offender. Can I legally Refuse to sell to him now and break the contract. Inspections and appraisal are completed but a closing date is not set yet?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, if the buyer is a registered sex offender, that fact would not give the seller legal basis to rescind (cancel) contract unilaterally and if the seller refuse to sell soles based on the fact that the buyer is a registered sex offender, then the seller could be held in breach of the contract and if the buyer files a lawsuit based on the breach of contract, the seller can be ordered to complete the sale and/or pay for any direct damages that the breach of contract has caused.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.