Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Can a house be built without any permits or any inspections

Customer Question

Can a house be built without any permits or any inspections done on it and then sold without telling anyone ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Theoretically yes, if it was done way out in the country on private land and no bank was involved in making a loan on the property.

.

But if the builder went to sell it, and it was not an all cash or seller financed deal, a lender would require a title search on it and an inspection which would likely turn up that it was never properly permitted or approved for occupancy.

.

Before there were housing inspectors, no one got a permit to build which resulted in a wide range of quality because some builders cut corners to build and did shoddy work and then covered it up. The building codes were put in place to guarantee some minimum level of quality and ensure that construction was safe..

.

.

thanks