Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother.

Customer Question

My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother. She, my mother, left my sister as executor. Things are transferred and my sister's name is ***** ***** documents (house owner, taxes) and she is giving the bills to us.
I've asked for a copy of the will and probate number, she refuses.
Is this legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If your mom's estate has been opened for probate, then you should be able to get a copy of the will from the probate court clerk as the will would have to be filed in order to open the case.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

If that has not occurred, then you would be entitled to a copy of the will as an immediate relative and beneficiary......if your sister will not give a copy to you, then you could file a petition in court and ask the judge to compel her to produce a copy of the will to you and/or the original for inspection. Once the court orders her to produce the will, she won't have a choice.