Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

In December, I t the brick wall in my parking space (a

Customer Question

In December, I hit the brick wall in my parking space (a separate wall, not attached to any building) when I was practicing driving. Since I just got my license, I was driving my husband’s car and didn't have car insurance. We have rental insurance but it only covers indoors damage.
So I talked to the property manager, asking them to give me a quote to fix the wall, which I thought it could be fixed with one or two thousand at most, as the brick wall (5.7feet high, 25 feet wide) had cracks but maintain its shape. (I took pictures after the accident).
Although we have been requesting, the property manager did not give me a quote until the day we moved out of the apartment at end of February, and the invoice is over ten thousand. I was shocked.
As the whole apartment property is undergoing a major renovation (that’s the reason why we moved out), the property manager used that space (where the wall had cracks) in the past 2 months, loading construction materials and parking other cars. Now the wall has fell down with a hole in the corner.
I feel it is unfair to invoice me this much after two months of the accident, and I really cannot afford it. Could you please give me some advice?
Many thanks,
J
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.