Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I own my house jointly free and clear with my x husband..can

Customer Question

I own my house jointly free and clear with my x husband..can I give or add my daughter to the house with out him knowing? can he stop it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You can deed over your half interest only.The ex owns the other half here if he has not quit claimed it to you.You are both tenants in common.If this was not addressed in the divorce or property settlement you each own half and each can deed their half here to whoever you want.You can do this by quitclaim deed from yourself as grantor to your daughter.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

Free forms for you here.

http://www.freequitclaimdeedforms.com/forms/rhode-island-quit-claim-deed.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
here is my goal if u can help, my x is to old school and wants to leave the house to all children, because he thinks there will be no issue, but there will be, so at least until he comes around what is best to do with my half? add her on? quit claim deed? and at best if i do this and he leaves it to all.. i would only pay them half the value? my goal is to stop probate..living trust? Thank u for your reply
Expert:  Ray replied 12 months ago.

You can quit claim your half to here if you choose.And you could buy his half or leave it to daughter to resolve it down the road.Deeding your share now avoids probate here, daughter owns half undivided interest.Either side can file a suit for partition and force a sale when they choose.

Thanks again for the chance to help.