Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

After living in this apt complex years, my husband and I

Customer Question

After living in this apt complex for 5 years, my husband and I bought a home. Unfortunately we closed on 02/26/2016, and my lease isn't over til the end of June. I went to the office to give notice on the 26th after closing. I said I would go ahead and pay March rent in full and we would be out by the 15th of March, giving them time to get it ready for someone to move in. The manager refused to let us give notice and will not prepare the apt for new tenants and says she will sue us for the remainder of the lease and will refuse to take the keys on March 15. We have been overrun with millipedes. The millipedes were everywhere and we asked to have the floors and gaps caulked. They said NO. After 3 months of hell, we finally caulked it ourselves. There were over a 100 millipedes under my bed because of outside access and they climb. The porch is slanted to the apt which fills with water and is ruining the walls. They say they can't fix it, and to use a broom when it rains. Mold coming thru the paint, etc.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am sorry to hear that you have run into this problem with the landlord...

.

I have read your comments but I am not exactly sure what your legal question is that I can help with this morning?

.

Are you asking if you can break your lease without repercussions?

.

Have you taken lots of photos of any mold, water intrusion, and insect infestations?

.

Have you called the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector to come out to inspect?

.

.

thanks

Also, can you tell me what state this is in?