legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

My name is ***** *****. I am trying to figure out if I can

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** *****. I am trying to figure out if I can use the CAR residential lease agreement even if I am not a licensed realtor. I am renting an apartment in SF.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a two unit property in San Francisco and my real estate agent did the listing and lease for me (after I purchased the unit as a package deal). I am now relisting the apartment and I want to do the paperwork etc on my own. Can I use the CAR form? I am not a licensed agent.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this.

The form is copyrighted, and that precludes the ability to reproduce (copy) the form, and is a violation of 17 USC 106 which exposes the individual to liability if they use the form without permission.

However, the Board does sell these forms to the public:

http://www.car.org/legal/standard-forms/

Even though it is a template, it is a good idea to have an attorney review the form to ensure that the provisions are applicable to one's situation and has the desired affect. Most attorneys will do this for a flat fee.

Another option is to hire an attorney to prepare a custom document so that it can be used as a template going forward.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!