Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I recently placed an offer on a Florida single family

Customer Question

I recently placed an offer on a Florida single family home.The house was just reduced from 259,000 to 249,000. I placed an offer of 249,000 and asked the owners to pay closing costs. They refused, after which I agreed to 249,000 and I would pay for closing costs. Off went the paperwork to the owner. They immediately raised the price to 256,000. Is this legal or just unethical?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Did the sellers every sign any contract with you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, we had sent the papers to the owners after their refusal to our offer of 249,000 and they pay closing. After we agreed to pay all, they responded that the price had gone up (this, after they hadn't been able to sell at 259,000) They have no other offers.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, unless the seller had signed the contract with a potential buyer, the seller can raise the price by any amount and it is not illegal or unethical for the seller to do so.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.