Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

My wife is the only person on our primary home and we belong

Customer Question

My wife is the only person on our primary home and we belong to our home owners association. As owners we are members of our country club. To be a voting director to our country club my name has to be on the deed. If we prepare a quit claim and add my name to the deed, would that suffice or does it have to be recorded? I have done my research online and it generally says it is a legal addition after it has been notarized and witnessed. Do you agree?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

In Texas here you have to record the deed making you a co owner.Once the deed is recorded it is effective to make you a joint owner, tenant in common.Otherwise just having a deed does not give you a legal ownership, it has to be recorded.

Here is a quit claim that will transfer from your wife as grantor to the both of you as tenants in common here under Texas law.

http://www.uslegalforms.com/tx/TX-01-77.htm

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Texas law presumes that if two people are named as co-owners (grantees) in a deed, and nothing more is said, then they are

tenants-in-common.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Once you record the quit claim then you are an owner for HOA or any other purposes here in Texas.