Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

In Arizona, default, what can the lender come after?

Customer Question

In Arizona, for strategic default, what can the lender come after? Retirement income? Car? Other?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? Is this property your residence? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. The lender will not be able to pursue any of your assets. The reason why is that Arizona is a non-deficiency state.

According to Arizona anti-deficiency statutes the lender in certain cases cannot sue the homeowners for deficiency. According to the Title 33, Chapter 6.1 of Arizona Revised Statutes, the lender cannot sue the borrower for any shortfall:

• If the size of the property is 2.5 acres or less than that
  • Further anti deficiency statutes is applied if the foreclosed home is a single family home or duplex.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!