How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2240
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I live on a farm on which she was raised and we

Customer Question

My wife and I live on a farm on which she was raised and we inherited upon her fathers death in 2006. Approximately 30 years ago, her father sold 5 acres to a couple who built a home on the adjacent property. Around the 1980's, Cable service was established in this area on a line from the road to a pole on adjacent property to our house. This service remained in use until Feb. 2014 when Suddenlink Communication removed the cable upon the demand of the neighbors. They claimed the cable was trespassing on their air space. Suddenlink has agreed to re-install my service providing I pay for it . I feel the law of prescriptive easement forbade the removal of my service and it should be restored at no cost to me.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes in 2014 the attorney sent a letter to neighbors which was ignored. I was told I would have to provide a $6000.00 retainer to further my case.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: That my only recourse is to sue.
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this situation. A prescriptive easement may be a legal theory in which to seek recourse. Unfortunately, even if the cable company was wrong in removing the cable they are unlikely to admit it was there fault and unlikely to address the issue and resolve it without being forced to do so by a court order. In other words, even if the cable company wrongfully removed the cable, you will have to initiate a lawsuit to either negotiate a settlement or have your day in court. This puts them in the position to defend themselves in which they may decide to reinstall the cable at no expense to you to avoid the high cost of litigating the matter with the risk of losing.

It is unfortunate when a person is wronged it takes going to court to resolve the situation but often as in this case there is likely no other means to resolve the issue. You could attempt to file a consumer complaint with your State Attorney General, this could result in the consumer protection division intervening and assisting you with getting the cable reinstalled. In addition, a consumer complaint could be filed with the FTC as well.

I know this was not what you want to hear.

All my best and encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated “ok” (3 stars) or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions