Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My husband has signed the real estate form to sell our

Customer Question

My husband has signed the real estate form to sell our house. He is a drug addict and what are the liabilities if he backs out later and refuses to sell?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

what are the liabilities if he backs out later and refuses to sell?

.

The buyer could sue for breach of contract for "specific performance" which is where a judge orders the sale to go through and the sellers to sign off on the deed under threat of contempt of court and up to 6 months in jail at a time for a refusal.

.

But if this is just a listing contract with a realtor, and not a purchase contract with a buyer, then he cant' be forced to sign the purchase contract without a court order.

.

If he refused, then you would have to file a "partition lawsuit" against him and have a judge issue an order that the house was to be sold, even over his objection.

.

.

thanks