Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My landlady refuses to return my security deposit. I

Customer Question

My landlady refuses to return my security deposit. I requested that she outline why including copies of receipts. I left my rental as I found it. She claims I did not comply with terms. The lease did include a cleaning fee, but that leaves a large portion unaccounted for. What am I not seeing? The answers have typically been "review your emails."
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Other than filing a claim in small claims court, you could also contact the NY State Dept of Law, headed by the Attorney General. They accept tenant complaints involving security deposits. After a tenant files a complaint, the Attorney General will contact the landlord, providing him/her with the opportunity to reply. The Attorney General's approach is to mediate a resolution by informing the landlord of the obligations of the law and the Attorney General's authority to enforce the law. A landlord who has no damage claim against a former tenant, and who is merely trying to keep the deposit, may respond to this pressure. You can reach the Attorney General at(###) ###-####