Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

If I never received my lease renewal or was never told my

Customer Question

If I never received my lease renewal or was never told my lease would not be renewed that was up in 2015 but instead have received the monthly rent pay letter. And now have received a letter letting me know I have thirty days to leave premises?? I also have three children. One 17, 11 and 2 years old. What are my rights??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Once your lease expired in 2015, unless it had an automatic renewal provision, you became a month to month tenant, which is what that letter you refer to told you. Absent this being in a rent controlled building where they have to renew your lease, the landlord can decide whether or not to renew a lease of a tenant. I am afraid that as a month to month tenant, legally the landlord may ask you to leave with 30 day written notice and if you do not do so, they can seek to evict you through court.