J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

Can a fence in Louisiana over 40 years old be used as a

Customer Question

can a fence in Louisiana over 40 years old be used as a property line?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Potentially yes, this would be known as acquisitive prescription. If land is occupied for a period of 10 years, such as inside a fence line, the strip of land occupied can be claimed by acquisitive prescription. While this may give rise to a claim of a new property line or title to the portion of property the fence has occupied, it does automatically change without a court order. In other words, if someone is claiming that have acquired a portion of property because the fence was not placed correctly, they still have to go to court to seek an order under the acquisitive prescription legal theory. Here is a link to a recent case discussing this type of action: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/la-court-of-appeal/1546634.html

All my best and encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated “ok” (3 stars) or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).