Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

We are in a condo of Florida with 13 residential buildings

Customer Question

We are in a condo of Florida with 13 residential buildings spread over 17 acres in Lauderhill, Florida. We have total of 431 units.
Rats have been reported in 2 of the buildings but in only a few units in each of them.
We have called on experts and the cost it phenomenal.
The problem persists and some of these owners refused to do what the experts tell them.
Is the association responsible for this infestation since it is not present at large?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Do you know if your bylaws provide anything about pest control?

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Generally speaking, your condo association would be responsible for repairs or maintenance of common elements. Accordingly, unit owners are responsible for the maintenance of their own units.

Thus, this particular issue would hinge on whether the association is doing something to facilitate the rats being on the property (such as leaving garbage in dumpsters too long, not properly keeping common areas clean, etc.) OR if the rat issue is a result of particular condo owners having units that are not well kept...therefore attracting rats.

But, if the condo association has rules or bylaws about pest control/paying for pest control, etc., then that's going to govern the situation.

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Hi - if you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks.