Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My daughter is due to make a down payment payment on a house

Customer Question

My daughter is due to make a down payment payment on a house shortly and if not will lose a considerable sum of honesty money. Tonight on the news there is a report that traces of lead have been found in the area close to her house from an a closeby industrial plant. She is reconsidering whether to go ahead, because of health concerns. The contract says tests have to be done and she has had it tested for mould and some gas. I do not think it mentioned lead testing. She has been told by the real estate agent if she backs out now she will lose $5,000 honesty money. What can she do? If she changes her mind is there some way she can get money back?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Is your daughter within an inspection period or other contingency period, such as finance or attorney approval?

Does the contract contain any environmental warranties or reps?

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Are you online with me?