Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have been renting my house year. The house has been sold

Customer Question

I have been renting my house for a year. The house has been sold and I was given 26 days to move. Am I eligible for relocation assistance? I live in NC.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you in a rent controlled area?

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you a month to month tenant?

.

Did you receive a written notice to terminate your tenancy?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not rent controlled, no lease. I was told on 1/27/16 that there was an offer with due diligence, was informed on 2/2/16 that the buyer accepted the inspection and I had until 3/1/16 to vacate. This was done via my work email.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, unfortunately, there is no NC state statute that would require a landlord to compensate a tenant for moving expenses if they properly terminate their month to month tenancy. Under NC law, a landlord only has to give a tenant a written 7 day notice to terminate and can then pursue a formal eviction in court after that to regain legal possession.

.

However, I would opine that this wouldn't meet the legal requirments for a written notice since the law requires an actual paper notice to be handed directly to the tenant or posted on the front door.. So I think you have grounds to dispute any eviction that they might try if you didn't vacate on the grounds of a violation of your procedural due process rights to proper notice.

.

.

thanks