How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38292
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help me. My condo association is trying to have me

Customer Question

Please help me. My condo association is trying to have me get rid of one of my dogs. I have 2 emotional support dogs and they are saying I can only have one. I have heard that there is a site that says I can have 2 as they are a bonded pair with one diagnosis. Can you please provide me with any in formation so I can educate my condo association?Thank you,
Ruanne Spivack
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA Ray here to help you tonight.

“Assistance animals” include “emotional support animals.” When an association receives a request for a “reasonable accommodation” under the FHA (usually the waiver of a pet restriction), the association is obligated to provide the accommodation if it is “reasonable”, if the person requesting the accommodation suffers from a “disability”, and if the accommodation will ameliorate the disability. Disabilities are defined in the law as mental or physical impairments that substantially limit one or more major life activities. Major life activities include sleeping, eating, bathing, walking, and working.

Here if you can document your need for reasonable accommodation, the need for two dogs for your well being and to overcome your disabilities.You need to see if your doctor will set out your special needs here for the two animals.It is certainly possible that you have a bona fide need.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Sample letter

Sample Letter from a Service Provider


Name of Professional (therapist, physician, psychiatrist,

rehabilitation counselor)

XXX Road

City, State Zip

Dear [Housing Authority/Landlord]:

[Full Name of Tenant] is my patient, and has been under my care since [date]. I am intimately familiar

with his/her history and with the functional limitations imposed by

his/her disability. He/She meets the

definition of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the

Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Due to mental illness, [first name] has certain limitations regarding [social interaction/coping with

stress/anxiety, etc.]. In order to help alleviate these difficulties, and to enhance his/her ability to live

independently and to fully use and enjoy the dwelling unit you own and/or administer, I am prescribing two

emotional support animals that will assist [first name] in coping with his/her disability.

I am familiar with the voluminous professional literature concerning the therapeutic benefits of assistance

animals for people with disabilities such as that experienced by [first name]. Upon request, I will share

citations to relevant studies, and would be happy to answer other questions you may have concerning my

recommendation that [Full Name of Tenant] have two emotional support animals. Should you have

additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.


Name of Professional

Something like this to document your need for the two animals.

I wish you the best here.I know this can be overwhelming.I hope this will resolve this and show the need for accommodation here.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Law for your reference, as long as you can show doctor recommended both of them you should be fine as this is then a reasonable accommodation of your bonafide needs.

I wish you the best here.