Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Thank you into this and taking time out of your day to.

Customer Question

Thank you for looking into this and taking time out of your day to.
Currently we are being asked to update the flooring of our 2nd level unit prior to close of escrow due to R&R. The unit was this way upon purchase. The property management company even stated they don't know how this slipped past them, but essentially we are stuck making these 1000s of dollars of changes. The changes that we are now being asked to implement and pay for should have been taken care of prior to our buying of the condo, whether by property manager or previous owner. So, it does not seem completely fair or legal for us to incur all of these costs due to an oversight on their part.
However, in order for us to even financially afford all of the changes they are requesting by the provided date we would need financial aid. They have refused to give any kind of reimbursement and claimed i had no case and to go ahead an seek legal help.
Please let me know if this is something you can help with.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Regrettably, as the current owner of the property, you are now solely responsible for the required update. Eventhough the previous owner was supposed to do the update, but the property management did not catch it, the burden now falls on you. The HOA has no legal obligation to assist you with financing of the update, unfortunately.

I am so sorry that I do not have better news for you.