Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Are the balconies on condos considered limited common areas

Customer Question

Are the balconies on condos considered limited common areas if we just had assessments on the balconies for complete restorations? And if so can the HOA enforce the balconies to be smoke free if the rest of the condo is a smoke free building?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This is not a statutory law. Whether or not property is considered common area depends on the deeds and founding documents of the property itself and the HOA. You can request these documents from the HOA and they will have to provide a copy and one can ascertain from this whether or not the balconies are considered common areas.

However, counter to presumption, they often ARE common areas. The HOA often has balconies as common areas because (a) safety may be an issue for maintenance and if so, the HOA wants to maintain it, (b) for reasons of keeping the properties nice in general by maintenance, and (c) specifically for purpose of enforcing bylaws that may limit smoking or noise on the balcony.

Ergo, if the balcony is common area, then the HOA may indeed enforce its no-smoking ban on it, because the HOA controls common areas.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!