Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I had repair work done on a house I own by what I thought

Customer Question

I had repair work done on a house I own by what I thought was a friend. No contract or even a verbal agreement. I had him remove a deck and roof work done. The first bill that was sent, I paid and thought that was all. Then a week or so later received an additional bill. I do not live in the state I had the work done in and so I was not there to see what was done and actually how long he took to do the job. I have not paid the 2nd bill as the total cost is completely out of line. Now I have a lien on the house and am not sure how to proceed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the lien has been filed already, the only way to remove the lien -- other than paying what he demands -- is to file a lawsuit to remove the mechanic's/materialman's/construction lien and claim that the lien is invalid, is for unauthorized work, etc. and then have the judge/court decide the matter based on the facts of your case.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you were to sue, it could scare the contractor enough to drop the claim.......especially if he doesn't believe he has the proof/documentation/authorization to perform the work to substantiate his claimed lien.