Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am property owner, have rented a mobile home with a week

Customer Question

I am property owner, have rented a mobile home with a week to week rental agreement. Tenants are 2 weeks and 2 days in arrears.
Didn't pay their electric bill with French Broad Electric, pulled meter and stold electricity. FBE then came out and TOOK meter. As property owner/landlord........am I allowed to TELL FBE not to replace the meter?? They will comply with my wishes. Don't know if it makes a difference but the lady is almost 9 months pregnant.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the meter was removed by the electric utility after the tenants were stealing electricity, then it is up to the utility about whether to replace the meter if the tenants pay their bill. If the bill remains unpaid, then I can't see the utility agreeing to replace the meter so as to restore service.

.

But since this is a problem of the tenant's own making, you aren't legally responsible for making sure that electric is restored to the dwelling if it is their duty to pay any bills.

.

With that said, it would probably be a good idea to serve them with a written notice to pay or vacate so you can begin the eviction process if they continue to squat there with no electricity.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My question was, Can I legally request that the electric company NOT replace the meter. I am definitely posting on the door a seven day vacate/eviction notice as they pay/rental agreement is per week. I think I am required to only give a 3 day notice.

Can I legally request that the electric company NOT replace the meter.

.

I would opine you can request it....but if the tenant fixes their default by paying any back bills and any fees, then it is up to the electric company whether or not to restore service.

.

As for the notice requirement, that is state specific and if you can tell me what state you are in, I can confirm..

.

thanks