How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1976
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 storage units I rent from Power Self Storage in

Customer Question

I have 2 storage units I rent from Power Self Storage in Ventura, CA. In one unit the sprinklers went off randomly in only my unit so the facility without my permission cut off my lock and went in to turn off the faulty sprinkler. They then proceeded to place a lock of their own on my unit and because I was working out of town I was not able to assess the damage until a month later. When I did enter the unit the sprinkler was still dripping heavily. The second unit was flooded when we had a heavy rainfall. Again, mine was the only unit that was declared a total loss. There was hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of antique furniture and inventory for my eBay business in the units. The manager slipped once and said something like she thought they had fixed the problem, but judging by the result of my unit flooding she guesses they did not succeed. They then referred me to the insurance company responsible for my units and told me that I was responsible for handling the claim from the sprinkler damaged unit and they were going to take care of the claim for the flooded unit. There were several hundred items in each unit and this was a lengthly and time consuming process. Now as I am finishing itemizing and logging all the items from the 1st unit, the manager is telling me I am now also responsible for the 2nd claim, and that there is a $2,000 cap on each unit which I agreed to when I rented the units. Is there anything I can do to recover the money lost from a whole life's worth of heirlooms?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Well, this facility also cut the lock off of the second unit without my permission because they said the electrical box for all the cameras for the facility was located in my unit. They then proceeded to place one of their own locks on my unit and because I kept missing the manager, and she was the only one with access to the new key, i was not able to enter my unit for about a month. So I did not have access to all my things in either unit for a month.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: They also inventoried everything in the second unit piece by piece then moved some of my things to an entirely different 3rd unit and left the rest in my old unit unlocked all without my permission.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for your damages. Yes, you can pursue the storage company via lawsuit where you can claim gross negligence, breach of contract, and perhaps claims under your state's consumer protection statutes. Review your agreement with them if there is any required arbitration clause. I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have. We can also talk via phone for an additional charge.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for following up with me Mr. Rahman. I have tried to contact two different attorneys regarding this matter and neither of them called me back. I left detailed messages with their receptionists and on their voicemails so I am wondering if they are just not calling back because they do not think I have a case. Do you have any advice on what I should say while searching for someone to represent my case?Thank you again,Melissa Gosaynie
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 12 months ago.

The same info you shared with me is fine. If you have a copy of any paperwork that would be important to share with the attorney. If you need a referral contact your local or state bar association. Ask for a referral to an attorney who specializes in consumer law.

Related Real Estate Law Questions