Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I closed a condo in April of last year and have recently

Customer Question

I closed a condo in April of last year and have recently found a major issue within my basement bathroom shower...when the bathroom was completed a P-Trap was not installed in the shower...something that should have been done and inspected and signed off on by the county. Now I am being told that the statue of limitations is up and there is not a thing that can be done to assist me. I am now on the hook for close to a $6000 repair charge as the bathroom shower will need to be torn apart and rebuilt. What are my legal rights in this situation?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

It may be possible to sue the seller for negligent or intentional misrepresentation IF you can prove that the seller knew or should have lien of this issue and that the seller failed to disclose the issue to you.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Also, if you had a home inspection, it could be possible to sue the home inspector IF this was checked and the absence of this $6000 issue doesn't appear/isn't reported.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

You could also have a claim against the contractor for improper construction of the completion of this work was within 5 years. There is a 5 year statute of repose for this, which you can read about here: http://www.vaconstructionlawupdate.com/2014/09/09/why-virginia-contractors-should-love-the-statute-of-repose/