CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Purchased home from realtor/owner. She lied about work done

Customer Question

Purchased home from realtor/owner. She lied about work done on home. What rights do I have for what length of time. She made me sign a 3 year no sell.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

If the seller lied (particularly if they are an expert in the industry - such as a realtor), you can sue them for "fraud in the inducement" - this makes the contract "voidable" (meaning you as the injured party can either void or enforce the contract (recover damages necessary to repair or remedy the fraudulent or defective issues) at your discretion).

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.