Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

A property, on which I have a valid Lien, was sold several

Customer Question

A property, on which I have a valid Lien, was sold several years ago for unpaid taxes. The lien was not cleared. I am now being sued to force me to sign a quit claim deed so the property title can be cleared. Do I have to sign this and am I entitled to recover the money I loaned
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

Since you have a valid lien, you are entitled to the full amount of that lien, regardless of what appears to be a potential offer to settle for less than the amount due. If you choose to accept $500 as full and final payment, then it's OK to keep it. Otherwise, if you plan on eventually collecting the full amount, it should be returned to protect your interest. You have no legal obligation to accept the payment or sign the quitcliam deed. However, it sounds like someone on the other end has a financial interest in having this lien cleared, so a counter offer from you might have good timing and get results. That counteroffer can be made prior to sending back the payment. Any deal reached should be in writing.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know and I will continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your concerns or pointed you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is how attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Just checking in to find out how your situation is progressing. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

Best,

Attorney 1