Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am trying to do a life estate deed to transfer property to

Customer Question

I am trying to do a life estate deed to transfer property to my daughter throughout the duration of her life and for property to return to my estate in the event f her death. Can I do this on my own or would I need an attorney?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

There is nothing that would legally prohibit you from drafting up your own life estate deed to give daughter a life estate. However, if it is done incorrectly, it could result in a defective deed that would be considered void.

.

So I always compare it to pulling teeth....you can pull your own teeth, but it is less painful and less likely to go wrong if you have a dentist do it..

.

But you can contact a local title or closing company and see if they could prepare one for you. They will be cheaper and faster than a regular real estate attorney and can help with getting it executed and recorded for a small additional fee.

.

I would ballpark the cost at around $200 for a deed prep..

.

.

thanks