Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I rented a 4 bed room house and the Landlord still lives in

Customer Question

I rented a 4 bed room house and the Landlord still lives in the house as well. She has the basement. I found out what she asked me to pay for rent is $250 OVER her actual mortgage, meaning she pays nothing and still lives in the house. Is that legal and because she is living in the house as well, isnt she obligated to pay rent too.. Also she also said I have to pay utilities. She told me for electric she usually pays $150 a month and anything over that would be my responsibility. Bit she told me the electric bill came every 3 months which was a lie. It comes every month. So she was backed up on her electric.. Paid $150 with the extra money to got from the rent I gave her. And the remainder was pushed over to the other month which she said I owed the rest. When the electric bill for the month without the late payment was only $177… ABecayse she lives in the house aren't we suppose to split the utilities eagually? She has also done the same thing with the water bill.. Said she would only pay $150 from a $790 dollar bill and because its just her and I have me and my kids, I'm suppose to pay the rest. When her water bill before I moved in by herself was $432 dollars.. I feel like I am being taken advantage of and would like to know what are my rights in this situation.. Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any of these things regarding payment of utilities bills in writing?

Do you have a rental agreement?

What state do you reside in?