Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Seller is delaying the close of escrow by not performing

Customer Question

Seller is delaying the close of escrow by not performing required tasks promptly
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Good evening Leroy. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you want to do is to let the seller and the listing agent know that if his actions cause the closing to be delayed, you will consider the seller to be in default and file suit to ask the court to: i) enforce specific performance by performing under the contract; and ii) award you damages suffered due to any delay. Also, let the seller know that in conjunction with filing the suit, you will be filing a lis pendens on the property (fancy legal name for a lien in this situation) to prevent the seller from transferring the property to anyone else while your suit is being adjudicated. In my experience, once a seller knows your intent to pursue this proactively, the seller will move to close timely rather than risk the suit and damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!