Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My question is. We signed a rental contract in October. Now

Customer Question

My question is . We signed a rental contract in October . Now the house we are renting has been sold and the new owners want it . The landlord we've dealt with now says we have to move before March 14 . But we have a contract is this legal .
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me how long your lease is and when it says it expires?.

.

Is there any clause in it that gives the landlord the right to terminate it early?

.

Are you saying the new owner is telling you that you have to move or the old owner?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Our rental agreement terminates on October 1st 2016 .The old landlord told us that the person who bought the duplex wants our unit .
*the other unit will be allowed to stay where they live because they don't want that one*I have email from him stating that even if the duplex did sell that we are covered by law and wouldn't have to worry about moving .

Ok, if you have a fixed term lease, then the new owner is out of luck. When they purchased the property they took it subject to any existing contractual obligations that the previous owner entered into, including any leases. The new owner "steps into the shoes" of the old one and just becomes your new landlord.

.

This means that the new owner has to honor any leases until they expire.

.

And now that the property has been sold, the old landlord has no authority to tell you anything since he no longer owns the property anyway. So you can simply ignore what the old owner says as they are trying to bluff you for some reason.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

thanks