WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I have a tenant that is reluctant to pay rent. They have

Customer Question

I have a tenant that is reluctant to pay rent. They have only been in my house 2 months and I have had to ask them every week for the rent and they have frequently been a few days or even a week late.
I usually send a txt message asking them to pay, but when I spoke with the tenant last week she became very angry, even aggressive, stating she had 7 days to pay a late rent and my txt messages were harassing her. They are currently 6 days overdue rent.
Ques:
1 is it harassment to ask for my legal entitlement of the rent.
I turn 69 next week and bought the investment property as a safety net for my old age. I am finding the constant stress over the last 2 weeks upsetting my health. I am on BP medication already and every week while I wait for a payment my BP goes up quite a bit. The strain is almost making me feel sick as I have a mortgage to pay and I worry
Ques:
2 would it be realistic and legal, to ask a real estate business to take over the management of my house? If possible, this would at least defer or reduce my stress levels
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and I am sorry to hear that you are having such aggravation with your tenant.

As long as the text is a "friendly reminder" that the rent is due, it is not harassment. Just do not say anything derogatory abou the tenant or insult them in any way, and you are fine. A polite reminder is not harassment.

You are completely within your rights to hire a property manager to handle all of this for you, and under the circumstances, it would serve you well, given your level of stress and the difficulty of dealing with this particular tenant. Generally, the property manager will charge you 15% of the rent, likely with a 12 month minimum commitment, for managing the property. Here, it would be worth it.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.