socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Our small subdivision of 154 lots was declared a Red Flag

Customer Question

Our small subdivision of 154 lots was declared a Red Flag Subdivision in Harris County Texas. What does that mean in terms of deed restrictions?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 10 months ago.

A "red flag" subdivision is a development in which the developer can opt to not provide utilities service (water, gas electric, sewer, water drainage, sidewalks, street lights, etc.). Buyers sometimes are deceived into believing that these services will be provided by the city or county at no cost -- but, in practically every circumstance, the buyer/property owner is required to pay the city/county to provide such services.

If you and the other owners believe that you have collectively been duped into purchasing in expectation that utilities would be provided by the developer, then you may want to contact a class action law firm, and attempt to recover from the developer.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!