How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116166
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My issue is our township vacating a Paper street under the

Customer Question

My issue is our township vacating a Paper street under the premiss of the 21 year rule ***** ***** though there is a utility under it (a storm drain) can they release ownership to the neigboring property owners?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are located in Upper makfield Township, Bucks County , Pa 18977
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under PA law, where a municipality does not open the street within the twenty-one year period set forth in Section [1 of the Act of
1889], the abutting lot owners acquire the fee in the street to the center line. . . . see: Leininger v. Trapizona, 645 A.2d 437, 440 (Pa. Cmwlth. 1994). If they have not done so despite you filing a request to them, then you can seek to sue them for a ruling of ownership reverting to the abutting owners. The reversion to the abutting owners would be subject to the utility easement which would remain in effect.

Related Real Estate Law Questions