Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I signed an apartment lease renewal yesterday. The problem

Customer Question

I signed an apartment lease renewal yesterday. The problem is that they are insisting that my son who is now 19 sign the lease. He only stays with me 3 nights per week, and his mom the other 4 (he is in college). If he does not want to sign the lease, can I rescind the contract?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My son makes no income, I pay 100% of the rent which is fine. I don't want him to feel pressured to sign the lease if he does not want to. I live in Cottonwood Heights Utah. This has been a fine place to live and I have been on very good terms with management as I always pay on time and cause no problems.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

If they insist upon your son's signature and you and he refuse, then the apartment only has two choices...to waive the requirement or refuse the renewal. They can't force him to sign. So, you have all the leverage here...either they accept that you will be the only signing party or there is no renewal which releases you from any obligation under the renewal you signed. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!