Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I would like to adopt a dog, but condo laws where i live

Customer Question

i would like to adopt a dog, but condo laws where i live only permit service-ttype dogs. how can i fight to have a non theraputic dog
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I'm a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

In order to adopt a dog without penalty, you will need to get rid of the rule against canines. This is not necessarily all that difficult, but does require effort. To abolish a rule, you need to show that either (1) the rule is being enforced unfairly or arbitrarily; (2) that the rule is unreasonable; or (3) that the rule was not properly adopted. If you were not in the in the board meeting that adopted this regulation, the third will be the hardest to show and your efforts may be best spent on one of the other ways to make the change. That's how to get rid of the rule if the board is steadfastly against change - using the court system. You have other options, though. You could also appeal to voters to hold a new vote, and campaign in the community to get the votes you need. There's plenty of research and material out there expounding the benefits of dog ownership, so you will have no shortage of supporting material. If approaching the board to change its position, be prepared to address it's concerns, which will have been the basis of the rule in the first place. Perhaps the issues are dog droppings or potentially aggressive behavior. Limiting dog ownership to friendly breeds will take care of the latter and perhaps a rule fining dog owners for unrremoved droppings would be more appropriate than a complete ban for this reason. There might also be a little doggy bag stations at various locations on the property that could encourage waste pick up and make it easy to comply. If barking is the issue, then the board could instill an unreasonable barking ban, ensuring that nuisance dogs would not be an issue. The bot***** *****ne is there are many ways to address the board's reluctance to allow dogs, and all it takes is convincing reason to change the status quo and adopt your newest family member. As mentioned, it would take effort, but I imagine it would be well worth it.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

If I have clarified your issue or helped point you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the information provided.

Best,

Attorney 1

Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to find out how your situation is progressing. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

Best,

Attorney 1