Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My name is ***** ***** and I wanted to know what a

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I wanted to know what a reasonable late fee is on a $5300 a month lease in texas. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am in real estate and I don't do leases but one of my listings wants to lease so I told them I would but I want to be fair to both parties. The tenants have excellent credit so I don't anticipate an issue but I don't want it to be too low either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Generally speaking, a one-time late fee of 3-5 percent will be considered “reasonable” by most people.

You can also charge a daily fee of, say, $20/day after the second or third day.

Texas law only requires that it be reasonable. Both of those are not considered unreasonable.

Additionally, make sure that the lease provides that tenant is responsible for the landlord's reasonable attorney fees.