KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My cousin is getting ready to put up a property in and in

Customer Question

Hi, my cousin is getting ready to put up a property for sale in Virginia and in addition to a home it has a small cottage on the property. The cottage was built in two section from 1998 to 2007 without a county permit. My question is what are the implications if the cottage is listed and sold along with the main home as a dwelling?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.

The legal implications are they the buyers could ask that all structures on the lot be legalized throught the county. They could also ask for a reduction in the sale price and remedy any defects in title. However if they are obtaining a loan through a bank then the financing bank would ask that the title be cleared, and the structure be permitted/legalized prior to closing