TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I have been paying my mortgage ahead with extra each time.

Customer Question

I have been paying my mortgage ahead with extra each time. Nothing has gone to principal since last may. I get the run around from the finance company. Can I get an appointment and how much do you charge?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

This service is by web only, so I can't meet you in person. Please be advised that while I can answer your general legal questions, I am not acting as your attorney and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. With that out of the way, here is what I would do:

I would send the lender a Qualified Written Request (QWR). The purpose of the QWR is to dispute errors that you find in your account. You can see an example of a QWR here: http://goo.gl/4M5ToF

After you send the QWR, the lender has a legal obligation to respond to you within 30 days, and to review the error and explain either that the error is corrected or explain why you are mistaken. If the lender does not respond within 30 days, or does not correct the problem at that point, then you could sue the lender to have the extra funds applied correctly. But you're not at that point yet. My guess is that your complaints have not even gotten to the correct people. The QWR will get to the right people because the lender has a legal requirement (per federal law) to investigate and correct errors when the QWR is received.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!