RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Bought a home with Mis matched AC and Air Handler, inspector

Customer Question

Bought a home with Mis matched AC and Air Handler, inspector or realtor never told us
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Can you share with me the effect that the mismatched AC and Air Handler had? Did this cause and result in damages? Just trying to get an idea if this had a material effect on the home and AC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had one room in the house it was always really cold during the winter and really hot during the summer and also another bedroom having the same issues but not quit as bad. Not to mention the duct work was done badly as well. We had crazy high electric bill, we are talking about $300 for a 1700 sqft home. We constantly had the home warranty people out here to figure out what would cause the rooms to get warm or cold. They kept saying, all good nothing wrong, until we had to call them again and the compressor on the outside unit broke and wanted to charge us an crazy amount of money and we called another company in and he discovered the whole mess

Thank you for the additional information. It would need to be determined by a professional/expert, if the mismatch did cause problems or damage to the home, which resulted in this mess AND if the seller did something illegal. It would need to be known ( based upon the contract), if they had a legal obligation to disclose this. if the mismatch did not cause any damage or there is nothing wrong with someone having this, then it would be hard for them to be sued. If you had the home warranty people out for this and they say it and knew it and did not think there was an issue or problem, it would be hard to show liability. It would need to be known what caused the compressor to break and if it was a result of the mismatch and something which was foreseeable, then you could try and go after them, if you first discovered this now and it was not known at the time. If this was a result of normal wear and tear and something that does go over time and not related to the mismatch, then you may not have a basis to proceed. You want to speak with the other company and see if they can reduce their finding to writing, advising what caused this problem and how it was directly related ot the mismatch and NOT something which should have ever been done. Then, you can speak with the inspector and ask if they saw this and were aware and why it was not documented and if the seller should have disclosed this

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!