Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a 99 year lease on a piece of property the lease was

Customer Question

I have a 99 year lease on a piece of property the lease was done in 1990 and the landowner passed away what do I do the water company has a copy of this lease in order for me to have a meter for water. The water company has now told me I have to go back and get something more from the estate of this party. I have paid all the meter fee on this property and paid all my bills on time. I have always paid all the rent on this property on time for 25 plus years. Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What exactly are they asking you to get from the estate?

.

Why do they need something more than the current lease that is still in effect?

.

Was the water turned on in the name of the deceased?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The meter is in my name was paid for by me many years ago. It looks like they are trying to get someone in the estate to sign a new lease which I doubt they will do as this goes to her children.

Ok, then there is no legal or logical reason the they are demanding a new lease since your old one is still completely legally binding on both the estate and any heirs who might inherit the property. If the executor of the estate won't sign something ratifying the lease, then you may need to contact a local real estate attorney to get an "opinion letter" confirming that the lease is still fully binding and legally effective. The attorney should be able to contact any legal dept for the water company and get them to understand that the lease is still valid.

.

But honestly, the water company's legal dept should be fully aware that a death of a landlord doesn't affect the lease in any way unless it has some specific clause in it that states it does.. I am not even sure why the water company was even notified about the landlord's death because it doesn't affect their agreement with you at all..

.

.

thanks

.